Sunday, November 26, 2006
On the spur of the moment
My attempt to make chocolate truffles was a dismal lesson in LEARNING HOW TO READ INSTRUCTIONS PROPERLY. For, instead of adding condensed milk, I added evaporated milk instead. The differing consistencies of these two types of milk should have alerted me; but NO, I just had to add the evaporated milk and spoil my truffle batter, which took me more than an hour to prepare.
No worries. Spoilt truffles to go to mother and her friends. For make benefit glorious lunch after church service. (Sorry, couldn’t resist!) I watched Borat last night, on the spur of the moment. I put on my zebra flats and wandered over to the ‘ol Pick n $ave, to buy a new packet of Marie biscuits. Cute-Box-Hill-Tafe-Indian-Cashier was there, and I had to duck behind the pasta shelf to keep from giggling. He looked amused. At least from what I could see from between the cheesey macaroni boxes and the leggo tomato sauce containers. The search for the condensed milk was pretty unsuccessful, so slightly ashamed, I crept up to the counter and asked –
Me: Erm, do you sell condensed milk?
Him: Sorry, what?
Me: Condensed milk.
Him: *shakes head* erm what?
Me: Con-DEnsed mik.
Him: Try looking at the milk section.
D’oh! Condensed milk would be in the milk section, right? Yeah well, you’re wrong, Box-Hill-Tafe-genius-boy. Pick n $ave does not sell condensed milk. He still had a huge smirk on his face when I paid for the Marie biscuits, though.
---------------
Crown at night is every city boy/girl’s dream and every photon-phobe’s worst nightmare. Luisa and Becky’s birthday is on Tuesday, and having bought Luisa but not Becky’s birthday present, I decided to take a walk in Crown out of sheer desperation. Well, even if I don’t get anything there, surely I’ll get some good ideas for presents, right? WRONG. I passed by the movie section, saw that Borat would be showing at 8.50pm, and promptly bought a ticket. It isn’t the first time I’ve watched a movie alone, an experience very insecure people would find horrifying. I’ve got to admit, when the people swarming around you are chumming around with the pals or significant others, it can be a terribly lonely experience. You know, the tyranny of loneliness even when you’re surrounded by a million other people. The prim cashier at the ticketing booth looked at me archly when she said, “Now, it’s numbered seating, so are you with other people, or just alone?” Sheepishly I replied, “I’m alone.” And then she had to repeat out loud, just so people behind me could hear, “Alone? Ok.”
I went in 10 min early regretted it. On my immediate left an aussie-accented Chinese couple were playing sudoku, which was abandoned five minutes later for another (lover’s) game of “Romantic couply behaviour to embarrass single person on our immediate right”. I felt a bit awkward, sitting next to the lovebirds when there were three empty seats to my right, It felt like I was deliberately choosing to perve on them. But as ticketing booth cashier lady had reminded me, limited seating means I shouldn’t plant my ass on a seat that I haven’t paid for. To my far right I was horrified to see another snogging couple. “Oh my Lord,” I thought. “Will this entire cinema be filled with couples who can barely keep their hands off each other? Am I a prude if I blush for them?” The three seats on my right were a source on consolation; even if another couple came humping along, at least there would be another single person. Unless… unless those three are the open minded, adventurous sort who like to engage in triple hanky-panky. Oh you randy rabbits, leave me alone!
*Well, lucky for me, the three were just a bunch of friends. There is a God, after all.
No worries. Spoilt truffles to go to mother and her friends. For make benefit glorious lunch after church service. (Sorry, couldn’t resist!) I watched Borat last night, on the spur of the moment. I put on my zebra flats and wandered over to the ‘ol Pick n $ave, to buy a new packet of Marie biscuits. Cute-Box-Hill-Tafe-Indian-Cashier was there, and I had to duck behind the pasta shelf to keep from giggling. He looked amused. At least from what I could see from between the cheesey macaroni boxes and the leggo tomato sauce containers. The search for the condensed milk was pretty unsuccessful, so slightly ashamed, I crept up to the counter and asked –
Me: Erm, do you sell condensed milk?
Him: Sorry, what?
Me: Condensed milk.
Him: *shakes head* erm what?
Me: Con-DEnsed mik.
Him: Try looking at the milk section.
D’oh! Condensed milk would be in the milk section, right? Yeah well, you’re wrong, Box-Hill-Tafe-genius-boy. Pick n $ave does not sell condensed milk. He still had a huge smirk on his face when I paid for the Marie biscuits, though.
---------------
Crown at night is every city boy/girl’s dream and every photon-phobe’s worst nightmare. Luisa and Becky’s birthday is on Tuesday, and having bought Luisa but not Becky’s birthday present, I decided to take a walk in Crown out of sheer desperation. Well, even if I don’t get anything there, surely I’ll get some good ideas for presents, right? WRONG. I passed by the movie section, saw that Borat would be showing at 8.50pm, and promptly bought a ticket. It isn’t the first time I’ve watched a movie alone, an experience very insecure people would find horrifying. I’ve got to admit, when the people swarming around you are chumming around with the pals or significant others, it can be a terribly lonely experience. You know, the tyranny of loneliness even when you’re surrounded by a million other people. The prim cashier at the ticketing booth looked at me archly when she said, “Now, it’s numbered seating, so are you with other people, or just alone?” Sheepishly I replied, “I’m alone.” And then she had to repeat out loud, just so people behind me could hear, “Alone? Ok.”
I went in 10 min early regretted it. On my immediate left an aussie-accented Chinese couple were playing sudoku, which was abandoned five minutes later for another (lover’s) game of “Romantic couply behaviour to embarrass single person on our immediate right”. I felt a bit awkward, sitting next to the lovebirds when there were three empty seats to my right, It felt like I was deliberately choosing to perve on them. But as ticketing booth cashier lady had reminded me, limited seating means I shouldn’t plant my ass on a seat that I haven’t paid for. To my far right I was horrified to see another snogging couple. “Oh my Lord,” I thought. “Will this entire cinema be filled with couples who can barely keep their hands off each other? Am I a prude if I blush for them?” The three seats on my right were a source on consolation; even if another couple came humping along, at least there would be another single person. Unless… unless those three are the open minded, adventurous sort who like to engage in triple hanky-panky. Oh you randy rabbits, leave me alone!
*Well, lucky for me, the three were just a bunch of friends. There is a God, after all.
Labels: Baking, Boys, Impulsiveness, People Watching